Saturday, September 15, 2012

HQYJ - Direct Withdrawals - September 11, 2012

How to Quit Your Job

Cancel all your direct withdrawals.

Since at some point I'm going to have to start taking money out of my savings account and putting it into my checking account, I had to cancel my direct savings.  I had been auto saving 10% of my paycheck every payday.  I cancelled that.

I also cancelled both of my auto donations.  Until yesterday I had been giving $15 a month to both a democratic fundraising organization and the Human Rights Campaign.  I may be able to give one-time donations at some point in the future, but I need to get my finances completely under my control before I lose my income.

Figure out how much you need to have in your checking account.

If your two biggest monthly bills were to get deducted from your account on the same day, how much money would you need in your account to take care of it?  Make sure that is the minimum in your account at all times.  It's better to not earn the four cents that money would have earned in a savings account than to be stuck with a $20 overdraft fee.

No comments: