Saturday, September 15, 2012

How to Quit Your Job - September 10, 2012

I've worked my job as an Administrative Assistant for just over 5 years now.  In the past year it's gotten bad.  In the past 6 months I've noticed that everyone around me is miserable.  In the past 3 months I've contemplated quitting or arranging to get fired.  Today we struck a new low. 

I need to quit my job.

I have nearly a year's worth of income in a savings account.  I could live unemployed for at least a year without changing my lifestyle at all.  And if I change my lifestyle slightly (clipping coupons, eating out less), I might still have a savings account even after a year of unemployment.

I also have fond memories of Temp Jobs.  I'm outgoing and friendly, I have excellent phone skills, my data entry is nearly error-free.  If I could work a couple days a week; three days doing data-entry here, four days answering phones there; I wouldn't even have to dip into my savings.

In order to wrap my head around the idea of quitting my job, I've decided to start a series analyzing the situation.  I guess the first step is just deciding that it needs to be done.  And it does.  Does it ever.

No comments: