Saturday, September 15, 2012

HQYJ - Clean Up - September 12, 2012

How to Quit Your Job

In preparation for quitting my job, I've started cleaning up at work.

I've deleted tons of old documents from my computer; not to be mean, just get rid of old info.  That folder I titled "Temporarily Important" has two documents in it.  I don't want to delete anything that my current co-workers or the next person in my position might need, but I can certainly get rid of all the extraneous nonsense.  I'm even deleting old emails.  I've never archived anything (I don't even know if our server does that), but I'm only holding on to a couple months of sent or deleted emails and my inbox only includes items on my To Do list.

I've also emptied my desk of all the personal junk.  Loose change is gone, the emergency chocolates in the drawer, the personal papers including my last signed vacation request form and paycheck stub, hand lotion and lip gloss.  I even took home the pair of emergency shoes I keep under my desk in case I ever accidently wear inappropriate shoes to work.  I emptied the kitchen area of all of my lunchtime tupperware and travel coffee mugs.  And I've brought home or plan on eating my emergency Cup O' Soup and Lean Cuisine.  At this point I could walk out of the office with only my purse over my shoulder and not have to come back for anything I've forgotten.

I've been filing like a mad woman.  My 'must file' bin is down to nothing.  My 'should file' stack is down to just a few.  And my inbox only contains papers that I've received in the last two days.  The binders I use on a daily basis are color-coded and properly labeled.  When I'm gone, I want them to miss me for the things I don't do anymore, not for the things I didn't do while I was there.

The more prep work I do to get out of there, the more I just want to hand in my two-week notice.

No comments: