Monday, September 3, 2012

Candling - August 30, 2012

I once went on Freecycle to request candles.  I'll take melted down candle nubs, container candles that are melted down to the point that you can no longer light them, or maybe some new candles that just don't fit your color palette anymore.  I therefore inherited a grocery bag of taper candles in a dozen different colors that I'm looking forward to melting down into new candles.

I broke the candles into pieces and put them into my aluminum pitcher.
I put the pitcher in a water bath on the stove for melting.
Once the wax melts, use chopsticks or a fork to remove all those wicks.  Then I've been pouring them into any glass containers I have, mostly things like jelly and pickle jars that I know will be able to stand up to the heat of the burning candle.  I also bought these cool wick holders that help keep the wicks centered in the jars.
The biggest trick I've learned when making these candles is to fill the jars with short layers of wax and let it cool before adding the next layer.  Otherwise the exterior wax cools more quickly and the interior wax condenses and creates a crater in the middle of the candle.  Besides, this way you can make cool striped candles!
I have lots more colors of candles I need to get to.  I just need to save more jars!!!

No comments: